Tuesday, October 14, 2008

SUCCESS: Where do you get it? What does it look like?

SUCCESS. What do you think of when you see or hear that word? Say it to yourself and take note of your reaction. What feelings and emotions does sit stir up? Intuitively we know what success means to us but it is not always easy to define. We tend to get our definitions of success by look at other people and measure ourselves against them . Yet if we really were honest with ourselves we might find that having another persons life, or wealth or job would be not really be our true definition of success.

I've come to the conclusion that to be successful in my life I've got to start with defining success for me and no one else. I alone can live my life, no one can live it for me. Its the same for you.
Doing the inside work of pealing off my desire to fit, to be liked, to please others is where I'm at. It's the hard work of really examining what my core values are.

Core values... two words that we hear allot these days. I believe core values describes and relates to the essence of who I am in personality and character. Working from a clear understanding of who I am this is a good place to start when it comes to defining and reaching for SUCCESS. I've found that most of my beliefs about success have been built on other peoples values and not on my own and I haven't really own them so they haven't worked for me. Rebuilding a picture of success based on my my own strengths and talents is the real challenge. It takes courage to look inside and aknowlege that the changes need to be made, make the changes and head in a new direction.

I'll let you know my new picture of what success is when I cleared the the space inside me of all the "should" I've heard from others. Time to pitch the crap and live from who I've been born to be.

What about you what's your view of success? Are you living from the essence of who you are -your core values?

No comments: