Sunday, February 01, 2009

The March of Time and The Life of My Dreams

Dec, 2nd... and here it is Feb 1th 2009!!

December went quick, heck it seems like the whole of 2008 did too. Dec and Christmas time was spent traveling to see family in California and as a new job as a photographer/sales rep. The Holiday rush was a whirl wind that has now dwindled to a whisper and opened up the time for me to now put my thoughts to blog once again.


Thinking about motivation has got me looking at this next year, and wondering about what it will end up looking like. I got a link from a friend who has moved my thoughts on motivation to my belief in what effect I will have on what this year will turn out to be for me and my wife.

My friend Lisa Jordan (another TCK) sent me this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-efficacy

Self-efficacy as stated in the article is "the belief that one is capable of performing in a certain manner to attain certain goals. It is a belief that one has the capabilities to execute the courses of actions required to manage prospective situations. Unlike efficacy, which is the power to produce an effect (in essence, competence), self-efficacy is the belief (whether or not accurate) that one has the power to produce that effect...."

It is related to the idea of desiny.. and " that people of differing self-efficacy perceive the world in fundamentally different ways. People with a high self-efficacy are generally of the opinion that they are in control of their own lives; that their own actions and decisions shape their lives. On the other hand, people with low self-efficacy may see their lives as somewhat out of their hands."

The idea that I have the power to change my situation. To accomplish my goals and dreams is HUGE.

As a TCK my childhood was proscribed for me. or so it seemed to me and it has affected the way I've reacted or acted in the face of life choices as an adult. My old patterns of coping with change and resting the responsibility for decision on others or procrastinating until the last second don't work any more. it is time for me to choose. Do I have a say in how my life will be or is it just up to fate?

It is easy to I say I have a say. The real question is what will I do about it.

Dreams stay that way with out practical application and action.

I've been talking about writing and speaking professionally for years. This year I will do it.
(it seems I've got high Self-efficacy doesn't it? yet it takes me way out of my comfort zone and into areas that I will need to work to perfect)

What is your story?

No comments: