Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A visitor & a dear friend.

As I sit here staring at the screen watching absentmindedly as my fingers dance on the keyboard, all I can think about is the impact of my knowing you. My world changed with a longing look and then again with a touch, a non verbal cue, and an ear that hears what it thinks is a spoken yes or a no. Even with you absent my world turns inside out... A hardened heart, exterior of brick reinforced with steel, a fortress forged in the fires of pain and loss protect the tiny boat afloat on the sea of joy and serenity that is hidden deep inside. I did not expect a visitor there, at the edge of my hidden sea, calling for me. What? How did you penetrate my defenses? After the last companion abandoned me with tattered sail & rudderless till, I took on water and almost drowned. There is and will not be room for two I vowed. I repaired my sail, affixed a new rudder, mended the leaks and set sail again awash in the joy of a new beginning. One bright day I looked and there you were sailing on your own boat towards me on my hidden sea! From afar my eyes beheld you and I heard your voice, but still I wonder...are you real? By what magic did you penetrated my defenses and posted guards at my heart's fortress walls? As we drew closer I pulled up beside your beautiful craft. I could see that it was a more petite and beautiful version of my own. We sailed a while together and then parted ways and spoke those words often spoken (by those that make light of departing, yet know its sorrow) "This isn't goodbye, it's just see you later" I still recall our meeting and marvel at the change you caused in me. Your vitality has made me venture out of safer waters and you have shown me that there is indeed room in this boat for more than just me, despite all my protesting. You are to me now a dear friend even as you chart your own course and have your own adventures, you are always welcome inside the fortress of my heart with guard that protects the open sea to the real me that remains hidden deep within me.

1 comment:

gstickings said...

intriguing, Isaac!